Vicodin consists of a combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone. Hydrocodone is considered to be an opioid pain medication. Acetaminophen is a less strong pain reliever and it makes the effects of hydrocodone less effective. Acetaminophen and hydrocodone are both pain killers.
Vicodin is used to relieve severe pain. It has to be taken into consideration that hydrocodone may impair person’s thinking and/or reactions. It means that a driver used vicodin will be probably charged with California DUI (HYPERLINK) and face sentencing prescribed by the law.
Generally, vicodin is available in the following forms:
The USA “Controlled Substances Act” regulates the manufacture, use, possession and trafficking of controlled substances. According to classification given in the act, the hydrocodone is listed in the Schedule II, if it is possessed or prescribed in pure form. In its turn, it means:
- The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse
- The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States or a currently accepted medical use with severe restrictions
- Abuse of the drug or other substances may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence.
Hydrocodone, in combination with other medications (including acetaminophen, in this case we get vicodin), is classified in the Schedule II. It means:
- The drug or other substance has a potential for abuse less than the drugs or other substances in schedules I and II
- The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States
- Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.
It is lawful to use vicodin for medical prescriptions. It can block severe pain and be as a cough suppressant. The most important is not to overdose the controlled substance as well as a person is not to possess it more than it is prescribed by doctor.
In the table below you can find the list of the most common California vicodin crimes as well as punishments for them.
If you or a loved one is charged with California’s hydrocodone crime, do not desperate. YOU CAN BE ELIGIBLE for various California drug diversion programs. In this case, there is a possibility for nonviolent offenders to face treatment and education programs instead of jail time and a criminal record. If you are California vicodin laws offender, you can benefit from the following programs depending on the particularities of your case:
- Deferred Entry of Judgment or DEJ (California Penal Code 1000 PC)
- Proposition 36 (California Penal Code 1210.1 PC)
- Drug Court (California Penal Code 1000.5 PC)
The Margarian Law Firm aggressively protects the rights of criminal defendants in California.Each defense must be developed upon the facts of your individual case. Do not hesitate to contact us. You will get your legal assistance as soon as you contact us. We handle every aspect of your case, from the first step to the very last court hearing. We will do our best in order to obtain the best possible outcome for you. Do not hesitate to contact us!
You may file your request online, by telephone or by mail. 818-553-100